Tuesday, March 10, 2009

you'll be in my heart


Now, I battled with myself in whether or not to admit that I was totally watching the Disney channel last night when Tarzan came on. But the reaction I had was too intense to NOT talk about.

I hadn't seen this movie since it came out in theaters way back when. It struck me as odd the other night, because I remember having no reaction whatsoever to the movie when I was.. 12, or however old I was when I first saw it. Needless to say, at 22, it was almost comical - and I would have laughed at myself - were I not too busy crying and hanging on every word spoken in the movie.
You know (Disney version of) the story: Boy raised by gorrilas. But he has this scene where he causes some rukus and sends the elephants into a tizzy. "Kayla", the mother figure to Tarzan, defends him to her husband, saying that he's just a little boy and he meant no harm. "Kerchak", the hubby, replies with, "Give him a chance?! Kayla! Look at him!" Little Tarzan then runs off and mopes, sitting by a little pool of water. He stares at his reflection and tries to understand why he doesn't look like everyone else in the group. I almost threw up.

I just spent the better part of 12 weeks photographing a series that deals with just that feeling. At 22 years old, alone in my empty apartment, I was weeping in front of my 24 inch TV set.

No comments:

Post a Comment