Monday, December 15, 2008

"i frakked up, okay? i messed up. but it's all that i have. those people are my family. and none of us belong here."

I need advice. I thought I was done struggling with the idea of my grad show..but apparently I am not. Obvioulsy, because Portfolio III is a class that requires weekly images, I will have to come up with a project and see it through to the end of the quarter. But it seems the consensus among the professors is that they would prefer to see me hang the adoption project (which...needs a better name, btw). I would be all for it.. except that, assuming my parents will be attending the show, they may be the only ones who want to see it.

That, right there, is kind of a flag to me in the first place. No one wants to see it - no one wants to have to confront the issue of adoption. So...that would be all the more reason to force people to confront it, yes? But at the same time, remembering what I went through when I revealed it to my mother - in the privacy of my own apartment - makes me wanna throw up a bit. If she responded the way she did when it was hanging in my living room, I can't imagine what she might feel if it were hanging in a gallery while hundreds of people gawked at it.

I want to be fair, but I want/need to be true to myself. That was the first series I had to actually fight to produce, and as such..I want to honor it for what it is. It's a piece of myself - my own personal history displayed in words and photographs. But I can only imagine the threat it may appear as to my mother.

Guys. What the frak do I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment